Launchcode’s Discovery program is seeking volunteers who will mentor adult patrons currently taking the online Discovery course. As a Launchcode Discovery Mentor at The Kansas City Public Library, you will provide guidance and direct assistance to students in the subjects of math and basic programming. A minimum commitment of four (4) hours a month for six (6) months is required. Training and ongoing support are provided.
Where Volunteers Serve
4801 Main St, Kansas City, MO 64112
Every Friday from 6-8pm
Next Volunteer Training
The Kansas City Public Library offers a 1-hour Tech Coach information and training session twice each month at the Plaza Branch.
However, these sessions have been cancelled until further notice for the safety of you and our staff during pandemic concerns.
Please look over Launchcode's Discovery syllabus, you must feel comfortable answering questions that pertain to this syllabus.
- Excellent computer skills
- A firm grasp of basic math concepts (High School math)
- A basic understanding of object oriented programming languages, preferably Python
- Ability to communicate in an effective and supportive way with learners
- Flexibility and patience
- Fluency in reading, speaking and writing English
- Able to work independently in a community computer lab
- Interest in digital literacy and adult education
- Job skills, professional reference, resume enhancement and networking opportunities within the community
- Knowledge that your efforts are helping others reach their personal goals and cross the digital divide in Kansas City
- Experience with persons from a variety of educational and cultural backgrounds